Saturday, June 25, 2011

FUZE Week 4

Structures seemed to be a natural progression forward from patterns. Taking the patterns observes last week, the plan B and I had was to give bones to them. I though I would leave this week with a schedule, a day in, day out system that I would follow for the duration of my internship. It was a good plan…

In keeping with the patterns I had observed last week I spent Sunday at churchfreo. B and I started doing The Artist Way, which requires daily writing. This added further structure to my days. Monday morning after doing my morning writing I headed into 408 for some studio time. This was becoming the structure of my days… writing first thing in the mornings, studio time till mid afternoon, reading, more writing and fellowship/relationship building in the evenings.

When I got to churchfreo I found Jim Kelley (A once homeless, alcoholic who with the support of churchfreo has been sober and off the streets for a year, and now serves as the main caretaker of the building at 408) there, drunk. It wasn’t even 9am yet. Jim quickly became angry and belligerent. He told me he intended to continue drinking the rest of the day and to find a woman for the night. I left quickly with the realization that the structure that I had in my days was going to have to change.

Here I was at the very beginning of structures week feeling like my structure had been severely shaken. In the midst of sulking, licking emotional my wounds, and trying to devise alternative plans, I found myself in frequent prayer. Prayer for myself, for churfreo, for Jim, for wisdom in the situation we were in. It was in this time that I realized that studio time at churchfreo was not really the structure God wanted me to have. Prayer was. When I was thinking of “structures” I was thinking much more superficially. Through the events and challenges of this week God taught me that the structure under girding everything I do, be it here in Oz, or wherever He takes me needs to be prayer.

Post Script:
This is Jim. After about a week long bender Jim sobered back up. He spent some time "taking a break" from churchfreo. I am thankful to be able to say he is back in our midst on Sunday nights. Last Thursday he gave me a yellow, 12 speed bike, giving gifts is Jim's love language. I am blessed in many ways by his love.

No comments: