Thursday, February 23, 2012

FUZE Week 50

Honestly... The past 4-6 weeks have blurred together a bit and many of the themes and weeks have started overlapping or dissolving into a to-do list of packing, emails, paper work, travel arrangements, and last visits with friends. 

Two weeks from today I will be landing in Tokyo.  Six weeks from today I will be back in the United States.  My excitement for Tokyo meets so many unknowns about that culture and leaves me in a place in non-emotion.  My joy for getting to see family and friends in the US again meets the sickening heartache I feel at the thought of not being here and again I'm in a place of non-emotion.  There seem to only be extreme highs and equally extreme lows on this journey with very little in between.  "Middle ground" seems to be a self imposed place of total neutrality that serves to keep me from looking like (and feeling like) I'm schizophrenic.

This week as I booked plane tickets and set up meeting and coffee dates to say goodbyes and farewell party plans were made I shed a lot of tears... n: fluid appearing in or flowing from the eye as the result of emotion, especially grief: to shed tears.

This week I also moved out of my studio and started packing at my house.  There were tears shed in this process as well.  I was more struck by the sensation of tearing... v: to pull apart or in pieces by force, especially so as to leave ragged or irregular edges. rend, rip, rive. mend, repair, sew.  In August of 2009 when I first visited Perth I gave it a part of my heart and leaving then was hard.  Now, after having lived here a year, Fremantle has my whole heart and I have it's.

Tear, both the noun and verb, is the theme for this week.  And I have a feeling the next few weeks as well.

No comments: