Tuesday, May 24, 2011

FUZE Week 7

It’s been a tough week. There have been some wonderful highs and devastating lows. And it’s Easter.

B and I read and discussed together an article by Serene Jones on grace practices. Jones unpacks grace as two fold, sanctifying and justifying. Sanctifying grace being the grace that shapes us, the grace that makes us more like Jesus. Justifying grace is the grace that has sealed us for heaven; it forgives. This forgiveness and gaining an understanding of being set apart give us freedom. With this knowledge we can celebrate in everything because we are free and are being forever formed closer to the will of God.

With that in mind we made this week one of celebration. In light of the resurrection we can celebrate… both the highs and the lows. But how do you celebrate when you’re overwhelmed and hurting?

This week started with the news of my grandfather’s death. Not the best note to begin celebrating on. In the midst of my sadness and feeling so far away from my family I am thankful that my Papa’s suffering is over so is the waiting and unknown and now, even though it will be hard, we can find normal again.
I can celebrate stand in families here. Without knowing the news about Papa my friend Sarah called and invited me to her parents for the night, she told me she had a feeling I could use some family time.

Barely 36 hours after I got the news of Papa’s death I got more news from the States. My sister had had her baby, Ephram Brant. It isn’t hard to celebrate the birth of a new nephew. It is hard to know how to do that exactly when he is over 15,000 miles away.

“The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; May the name of the Lord be praised.” (Job 1:21) In his name and by its power we can celebrate. I don’t think it’s ironic that Easter fell in this week. Not only was that cause for celebration (and a continent source of necessary celebration/comfort chocolate) but it is the reason I can celebrate in everything that has happened this week.

No comments: