Saturday, May 28, 2011

FUZE Week 8

B and I have been working through the book The Artist’s Way but Julia Cameron. Each week we read a chapter and complete specific tasks related to the topic of the week’s chapter. One of the tasks we had this week was a week-long reading deprivation. NOT READ!?!? For a WEEK?!?! There were a lot of things I disliked about this task... I couldn’t read emails. No reading related research. Couldn’t read price tags, recipes, bus schedules, text messages. I was not looking forward to this week.

When studio was our word for the week I let out a sigh of relief. I can just make stuff… I mean art, that doesn’t require reading. Or so I thought. This week part of studio for me was finding a studio space. Doing this without reading was going to be difficult. I found I had to ask a lot of questions. I made a special trip to the art supply store to ask about possible studio spaces. Rather than using a phone book I had to get phone numbers from people and make calls. I couldn’t Google search studios in Freo and look at pictures online I had to take buses, get lost, ask for directions, find them and look at spaces in real life. By not reading I had to engage my environment and community, I had to pursue relationships and have conversations, all big reasons for why I’m here.



After conversations with several people with different connections in the arts community it seemed like all roads were leading to the same place, Blinco Street Studios. This space was not far from the heart of Freo, in easy biking distance from the house. I was told there was immediate availability and rent seemed reasonable. The studios were connected to a funky little café. I was able to make an appointment to see the available spaces early next week and B and Luci were both able to join me for this. I was relieved to have come to a point of resolution. I knew where I was going to be working. I could start building relationships there. I could settle into a regular studio routine. I was also proud of myself for having found a place while not reading. Finding a studio can be hard under normal circumstances, finding one without reading… well, you get the idea.



The funny thing is that in “Studio Week” I did very little art making, like I had thought I could and would do. I did however do a lot of relationship making. There was a night spent over Thai takeout and The Royal Wedding. There was dinner with one of my soon-to-be housemates and his girlfriend. A good friend who lost her grandmother the same day my Papa died and I had a long chat over coffee. At the very end of the week of studio and reading deprivation I facilitated the Artist’s Way book group, building for me a new layer into the relationships there.



All of these relational events reminded me that “studio” is not just making art. It’s a mindset and posture of giving back, be that literally, metaphorically, creatively or spiritually. It’s the humbleness to ask and listen.


(I did get some art making related things done too... who'd have guessed art can be washing linens)

No comments: