Thursday, July 21, 2011

FUZE Week 3

In the two short weeks I’d been in Fremantle so far there have already been patterns emerging in my schedule, routine, and people I interact with. Patterns naturally was B’s and my word for the week.

The most frequently asked question I get is “what does your schedule look like?” Being in the business of people it’s hard to have a schedule because you can never know when you’ll get called in. Likewise with creativity. There are however marked events on my calendar that reoccur regularly that establish a schedule of sorts… Sunday night there is churchfreo.
A few days during the week I spend the day at churchfreo doing studio work. Tuesday is Bible Study. Thursday I spend the evening with Steve and B, just catching up on each other’s week. Friday B and I go over all of our stuff for FUZE, evaluate the past week and prepare for the next. At this point we’re still allowing things to flow organically around these emerging patterns.


I find it interesting to talk about pattern in this way. For several years now my creative practice has included visual pattern. Now I’m looking at my practice and art-making as the pattern. When I have used patterns it has been to reference tradition, history, and home. Now I’m looking at pattern as faith, art practice, and life style. Pattern is becoming something that you embody and live out.

In the past pattern and ritual have been very important concepts to my work. They are now also becoming important to my life. I wonder how the patterns of my daily life will continue to change in this year. How pattern and ritual will change in my work as learn to embody and live them.

2 comments:

trmills said...

Good to read your thoughts Shannon.
I've set up a studio for the next six months while we're in the US and have patterns on my mind as well.
Following along.
Tim

Anonymous said...

A poem by Amy Lowell (entitled strangely enough "Patterns" :-)) looks at the larger patterns of mankind. One could start a good theological discussion of the plan of God as linear and always moving forward versus patterns that repeat throughout history (the "nothing new on the face of the earth" concept). Just in case you need a start-up for a theological debate, ha!!! Miss you! Deb Hiebert