Thursday, July 21, 2011

FUZE Week 5

When Berenice and I made “Making” our theme for the week I expected it spend a lot of time making art. Easter is coming quickly and I needed to get busy making work for the installation. There was a lot of that, but it became clear to me that most of my making was going to be in relationships.


Because using the churchfreo building for my studio wasn’t going to work out I started looking for other places I could work. The house I was staying in quickly came to mind. Although it was a convenient space, I started getting restless there. So, I found ways to take my work with me to places in Freo. I found myself in coffee shops mostly which has also proved to be a good relationship making site. There were several occasions where a friend or two would join me for coffee as I made.


It’s difficult to know how much detail to go into here, but there was a lot of making up, making steps towards, and making nice that happened this week. After the events of structures week all of these kinds of making were very necessary, for others and me. A making amends, if you will.

The work that I was making in these cafes was for the Easter installation at churchfreo. I spent the week writing “paid in full” on the front and back of 490 price tags. 490 is the sum of 7 times 70, the number of forgiveness (Mat. 18:22). It was an amazing reminder why making up is important and what it cost to make this sinner right before God.

No comments: