Saturday, July 30, 2011

Mmm... pie!

One of my amazing supporting churches, Westminster PCA, took me on as fund raiser during Vacation Bible School. The VBS theme was the beach, so my being in Australia didn't hurt. Also, having a sister on the VBS committee who volunteered to coordinate the missions minute didn't hurt either.

Part on the internship I am doing includes going to another field for 2-4 weeks to embody the skills I'm learning here. Right now it is looking like I will probably be going to Japan in early 2012. However, there is so concern over the expense of this trip. All of the daily offerings brought to VBS by the kids, teachers, parents, and staff are being donated to MTW to help me get to Japan.

One morning I was able to be Skyped into their assembly. Several different kids asked questions. I was so impressed by the quality of questions they had. The kids wanted to know when I would be going to Japan, how long I'd be there and had lots of questions about an artwork that I'm working on for Japan (more to come on that soon!). One sweet little girl walked up to the computer held out her hand and said "I have some money for you." Melted my heart! It is always an encouragement to see such little ones being kingdom oriented and missions minded.

The fund raiser was set up as a compitition between the classes to see who could raise the most money. The class with the highest total at the end of the week got to throw a pie at the associate pastor along with a VBS t-shirt and bragging rights.



I am so blessed to have been a part of this years VBS! I have to say a huge thank you to my sister who put all of this together. Also, to the teachers and coordinators at VBS who got their classes so involved in supporting me. To the amazing kids at VBS, thank you, and I couldn't be doing this without you! Thank you to Westminster for being faithful partners with me in prayer and finance. A big thanks to Pastor Jon for being such a good sport! And of course, to Michale for getting the pie action on video.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

FYI... Your nephew Jeremiah loved the video! He was laughing right along with the kids.

We love you,
Dad

Anjanette said...

Love it! So cool! And btw - I spent 9 months in Japan as an undergrad. Amazing place & people!