Wednesday, December 14, 2011

FUZE Week 31 & 32


The MTW Asia/Pacific Area retreat in Malaysia was this week (and a bit of next, hence the same theme for two weeks).  The term retreat comes with two distinct and opposed meanings for me.  First is the idea of escape or holiday, as this retreat was intended to be.  There is also the idea of running away, retreating from battle or an enemy.  The theme of retreat was deliberately chosen for that very reason and to be a reminder to rest and not to be running away.

When I left for Malaysia I had a 1,000-page book, fully loaded, fully charged iPod, and a big bottle of SPF 50 in my suitcase.  I was fully prepared for a week of resting, relaxing, and retreating alone, poolside.  They were the first things I unpacked upon getting to the resort and the last things I put back in my suit case when packing up at the end of the week.  The battery on my iPod was still fully charged and I was no further into my book than I was before.

What I discovered this week is regardless of retreating, or battling, it’s the people we do it with that is important.  At the area retreat I was able to meet tons on people on the field and from the home office.  The teaching, sessions, activities and worship that had be planned and organized for us were great, but it was the fellowship that happened between those events that was of most value to me.   That made my time a retreat a time of rest, relaxation, and rejuvenation compared to the running away kind of retreat.

Here are some of my sweet friends from all over AustrAsia in Malaysia...
Dr. Kooistra (the boss of all MTW) Joy and I loving the pool
Shopping buddies

Erika, Joy and I, aka the cool room

Singles gang
Beers in Kaula Lumpur with Steve

If a picture is worth a thousand words this one is Anna Karenina!

No comments: